I got this from another site, but these look to be the best directions I could find on how to make a PC mod work on a Dreamcast. I will be messing around with it myself and might make a package for others to make mods with.
- Take HLDC. Copy the contents of the CD to the HDD.
- Copy all the files required for your Mod into the VALVE folder of where you copied HLDC
- Create the mod into a cdi
- Burn the files you just copied to your HDD (of HLDC)
Things you can try to get mods to work:
- Every extra WAD/PAK file for the Mod needs to be extracted to folders -- so they're not in their wad/pak files anymore. This poses a problem because it might make the game too big to burn
- Use a HL WAD/PAK editor to manually edit in all the files for said Mods, but still keeping all the files HLDC requires to run -- IE all the graphics for the menus, etc. (Just overwrite the maps, weapon models, enemies and scripts) - This unfortunately is not entirely user-friendly.
- Don't try to overwrite everything in the VALVE folder, instead, overwrite everything in the BARNEY (BlueShift) folder.
If anybody can write a better description of how to do this please be my guest. I just think we should have this for people to see how easy it is to make their own mods on a Dreamcast. Would also be great if we had a sticky of this.